People with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) have disrupted sleep and low blood oxygen levels. When obstructive sleep apnea occurs, the tongue is sucked against the back of the throat. This blocks the upper airway and airflow stops. When the oxygen level in the brain becomes low enough, the sleeper partially awakens, the obstruction in the throat clears, and the flow of air starts again, usually with a loud gasp.
Repeated cycles of decreased oxygenation lead to very serious cardiovascular problems. Additionally, these individuals suffer from excessive daytime sleepiness, depression, and loss of concentration.
Some patients have obstructions that are less severe called Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome (UARS). In either case, the individuals suffer many of the same symptoms.
Sleep Apnea Treatment
The first step in treatment resides in recognition of the symptoms and seeking appropriate consultation. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons offer consultation and treatment options.
In addition to a detailed history, the doctors will assess the anatomic relationships in the maxillofacial region. With cephalometric (skull x-ray) analysis, the doctors can ascertain the level of obstruction. Sometimes a naso-pharyngeal exam is done with a flexible fiber-optic camera. To confirm the amount of cardiovascular compromise and decreased oxygenation levels, a sleep study may be recommended to monitor an individual overnight.
There are several treatment options available. An initial treatment may consist of using a nasal CPAP machine that delivers pressurized oxygen through a nasal mask to limit obstruction at night. One of the surgical options is an uvulo-palato-pharyngo-plasty (UPPP), which is performed in the back of the soft palate and throat. A similar procedure is sometimes done with the assistance of a laser and is called a laser assisted uvulo-palato-plasty (LAUPP). In other cases, a radio-frequency probe is utilized to tighten the soft palate. These procedures usually performed under light IV sedation in the office.
In more complex cases, the bones of the upper and lower jaw may be repositioned to increase the size of the airway (orthognathic surgery). This procedure is done in the hospital under general anesthesia and requires a one to two day overnight stay in the hospital.
OSA is a very serious condition that needs careful attention and treatment. Most major medical plans offer coverage for diagnosis and treatment.
Northern Virginia Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery – Burke, VA
5206 Lyngate Ct
Burke, VA 22015
Northern Virginia Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery – Reston, VA
11490 Commerce Park Dr #100
Reston, VA 20191
Northern Virginia Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery – Alexandria, VA
2807 Duke St
Alexandria, VA 22314
- Dental Implants
- Wisdom Teeth
- Tooth Extraction
- Bone Regeneration
- Facial & Cosmentc
- 2019-02-26Highly recommend this place for dental implants and extractions. They are quick and thorough.John M.
- 2019-01-29The experience has been amazing. Dr. Yaghmai and Sarah were able to take care of long standing tooth problem and missing tooth.Balaji R.
- 2019-02-18I had a great experience here. Everyone was extremely friendly and prompt timing.Ana C.
- 2019-02-26Very professional office.Jon w.
- 2019-01-28Absolute best service, best price I could find in Northern VA after getting a consult from several offices from Reston to Leesburg.Bernadette A.
- 2019-01-15Got 4 wisdom teeth removed here and had a great experience! Dr. Yaghmai and Sara K. were very professional!Nick J.
- 2019-01-17Thanksjoan s.
- 2019-01-05Dr. Naimi and all his staff were great. Very professional and kind. I highly recommend this practice!Deborah W.
- 2019-02-12recommend this practice highlyMalcolm P.
- 2019-01-23Courteous staff. Medical procedure went well.Eric W.
- 2019-03-05I had no pain after the first day, the staff is friendly and professional, and it was overall a good experience.Alex C.
- 2019-02-19Wonderful experience overall! Friendly and highly professional staff made the removal of my wisdom teeth as painless as possible.George Z.
- 2019-02-07Doctor Naimi is the best!!Romi M.
- 2019-02-01I had a great experience here! Procedure was fast, and the staff here was very friendly. Ruqaya and Dr. Naimi did a fantastic job!!Gabriella D.
- 2019-03-19Fast recovery timedevonkeith13
- 2019-01-31Very comprehensive care and very patient staff. They handled everything from insurance and billing to pre and post OP care.Joshua F.
- 2019-01-09I had a great experience with Dr. Dawood and his staff Ali, Betty, and Erica . It has only been a week and I feel almost back to normal.Bushra S.
- 2019-01-29I am so thankful to them for their care.Neal S.
- 2019-03-08The staff were very welcoming. Rugaya and Holly took great care of me and put me at ease before my (4) wisdom teeth extraction.Trinity G.
- 2019-03-05He was fast and efficient and I have already recommended him to several people in case they should ever need an oral surgeon.valerie a.
- 2019-01-10Highly recommended for wisdom tooth surgery! The other positive reviews are completely right!Jeremy K.
- 2019-01-11Great experience! The doctors were very friendly and made me feel comfortable before my surgery. Definitely recommend northern Virginia oral!Ashley A.
- 2019-02-12I would highly recommend going here . I got my wisdom teeth removed about a month ago and my experience here was wonderful !Karen H.
- 2019-01-17Very positive experience... from consultation to surgery and scheduling follow-up. Everyone was knowledgeable, professional, and friendly.M C.
- 2019-01-11Good wisdom teeth treatmentgopacgo12345
- 2019-02-01The surgeon and assistants Holly and Victor were helpful and thorough prepping me and ensuring post-op recovery went along well.Christina B.
- 2019-01-25Dr. Naimo and his assistant holly did an amazing job for my wisdom teeth removal.cameron W.
- 2019-01-18His assistant, Melissa, is top-notch and is the best at answering questions and keeping the patient informed and comfortable. No surprises.O W.
- 2019-01-11Staff is so friendly; especially Caroline and Nadine! I would recommend this practice to anyone and everyone! Thanks so much guys!Sydney A.
- 2019-01-04Amazing staff, nurses, and surgeons. Would definitely recommend them!Lulu A.
- 2019-01-04Very nice dental practice. Treated me very well!NICOLE ASHLEY M.
- 2019-01-10Dr. Yaghmai and Fab were very friendly and supportive for my son’s wisdom tooth surgery. Would recommend for any oral surgery!Shan J.
- 2019-03-05Dr Yaghmai, Fab and Sarak were great and very friendly! I highly recommend this place! Had wisdom teeth removal, fast recovery and no pain.TheAshe89
- 2019-01-10Overall a great experience. One of the assistants named Fab explained the process very well and was very welcoming.Hieu N.
- 2019-02-26Excellent care. Staff concerned about you before, during and afterwards. Also, answers every question to your satisfactionIra F.
- 2019-01-22Dr. Yaghmai was the absolute best! I had my wisdom teeth removal done and he couldn’t have been more swift and precise.Maddie H.
- 2019-02-21I was nervous going in to get my wisdom teeth extracted but Dr. Yaghmai, Tiffany and Sarah made the experience much more comfortable, I left feeling better than i had thought possible and had none to very little discomfort/pain during the healing process.Lucas S.
- 2019-02-14Superbly professional. Friendly. Responsive. I couldn’t be happier with my experience!John R.
- 2019-02-14Thank you for a wonderful experience! Pain free and they genuinely care! I look forward to working with you all at my next visit!Kelly D.
- 2019-01-11Everyone here was super nice, Dr. Naimi did a great job and the two women who helped me prep for my wisdom teeth extraction and then helped me with recovery, Jennyfer and Tiffany, were so helpful and nice.Emma W.
- 2019-01-25Dr. Naimi and his entire staff, especially Holly was excellent. Would highly recommend!Chanel A.
- 2019-01-10Came to Nova oms to get four wisdom teeth extracted and had a great experience. Would recommend for any future oral surgery needs.Danny W.
- 2019-02-08He is absolutely the best surgeon! I totally recommend Dr. Y for your surgery needs! The office is so friendly and lovely to work with!Michele J.
- 2019-02-19Quicker recovery than usualFelipe F.
- 2019-01-14Awesome and professional doctors who care about their patients 🙂Tram M.
- 2019-03-05It was quick and entirely painless. I took ibuprofen for a few days, but was back on normal food after barely a day.Leland G.
- 2019-03-05Great experience at NOVA OMS. Dr. Yaghmai and Sara K. were great and made the experience effortless.Parker S.
- 2019-02-26I was very pleased with my experience. This is the second time I've been a patient of Dr. Yaghmai for implants.Pam G.
- 2019-01-25Excellent service ! Surgeon went well . Staff is excellent ! DR Naomi and Holly was awesome .Keisha G.
- 2019-02-01They are friendly, caring, efficient and very professional. I highly recommend Dr. Naimi to and Reston OMS.Cathryn L.