People with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) have disrupted sleep and low blood oxygen levels. When obstructive sleep apnea occurs, the tongue is sucked against the back of the throat. This blocks the upper airway and airflow stops. When the oxygen level in the brain becomes low enough, the sleeper partially awakens, the obstruction in the throat clears, and the flow of air starts again, usually with a loud gasp.
Repeated cycles of decreased oxygenation lead to very serious cardiovascular problems. Additionally, these individuals suffer from excessive daytime sleepiness, depression, and loss of concentration.
Some patients have obstructions that are less severe called Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome (UARS). In either case, the individuals suffer many of the same symptoms.
Sleep Apnea Treatment
The first step in treatment resides in recognition of the symptoms and seeking appropriate consultation. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons offer consultation and treatment options.
In addition to a detailed history, the doctors will assess the anatomic relationships in the maxillofacial region. With cephalometric (skull x-ray) analysis, the doctors can ascertain the level of obstruction. Sometimes a naso-pharyngeal exam is done with a flexible fiber-optic camera. To confirm the amount of cardiovascular compromise and decreased oxygenation levels, a sleep study may be recommended to monitor an individual overnight.
There are several treatment options available. An initial treatment may consist of using a nasal CPAP machine that delivers pressurized oxygen through a nasal mask to limit obstruction at night. One of the surgical options is an uvulo-palato-pharyngo-plasty (UPPP), which is performed in the back of the soft palate and throat. A similar procedure is sometimes done with the assistance of a laser and is called a laser assisted uvulo-palato-plasty (LAUPP). In other cases, a radio-frequency probe is utilized to tighten the soft palate. These procedures usually performed under light IV sedation in the office.
In more complex cases, the bones of the upper and lower jaw may be repositioned to increase the size of the airway (orthognathic surgery). This procedure is done in the hospital under general anesthesia and requires a one to two day overnight stay in the hospital.
OSA is a very serious condition that needs careful attention and treatment. Most major medical plans offer coverage for diagnosis and treatment.
Northern Virginia Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery – Burke, VA
5206 Lyngate Ct
Burke, VA 22015
Northern Virginia Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery – Reston, VA
11490 Commerce Park Dr #100
Reston, VA 20191
Northern Virginia Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery – Alexandria, VA
2807 Duke St
Alexandria, VA 22314
- Dental Implants
- Wisdom Teeth
- Tooth Extraction
- Bone Regeneration
- Facial & Cosmentc
- 2018-12-18Everything was amazing!! I strongly recommend this office.OSCAR GOMEZ U.
- 2019-01-11Everyone here was super nice, Dr. Naimi did a great job and the two women who helped me prep for my wisdom teeth extraction and then helped me with recovery, Jennyfer and Tiffany, were so helpful and nice.Emma W.
- 2019-01-01It was quick and easy!Tuba H.
- 2018-12-08Great, friendly environment. They make you feel welcome and like you’re at home. The nursing staff were extremely helpful toward my recovery.Laith A.
- 2019-01-04I had a great experience! The staff is super nice and friendly.Patricia H.
- 2019-01-11Good wisdom teeth treatmentgopacgo12345
- 2018-12-08My kids had a great experience and would definitely recommend Dr. Naimi to anyone who has need for wisdom teeth extraction.Jake P.
- 2019-01-04Very nice dental practice. Treated me very well!NICOLE ASHLEY M.
- 2019-01-01Amazing experience! Doctors were so nice, answered every question I had before surgery. Highly recommendMelysa S.
- 2019-01-05Dr. Naimi and all his staff were great. Very professional and kind. I highly recommend this practice!Deborah W.
- 2018-12-08If you’re looking for a GREAT surgeon AND amazing staff, I would recommend this place ten times over to my friends and family. Just amazing.Katelyn N.
- 2019-01-01I had my wisdom teeth removed by Dr Yaghmai and had a great experience with him and his staff!HANNAH Z.
- 2019-01-03The practice is very clean and the staff are very kind and professional especially Fab and Melissa, they did a great job.Diana J.
- 2019-01-11Great experience! The doctors were very friendly and made me feel comfortable before my surgery. Definitely recommend northern Virginia oral!Ashley A.
- 2019-01-10Came to Nova oms to get four wisdom teeth extracted and had a great experience. Would recommend for any future oral surgery needs.Danny W.
- 2018-12-18Thank You Dr Dawood, Betty and Yessica, and advanced wishes for you and all the staff at NOVA OMS for a merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a happy Healthy and prosperous 2019 to you and your extended familyHARISH M.
- 2018-12-11ExcellentChuck C.
- 2019-01-03Dr.Yaghmai and his staff especially Fab were very efficient and kind to me during my surgery. I would highly recommend coming here!!Alyssa P.
- 2019-01-09I had a great experience with Dr. Dawood and his staff Ali, Betty, and Erica . It has only been a week and I feel almost back to normal.Bushra S.
- 2019-01-01Great service.steve c.
- 2018-12-18The experience has been amazing. Dr Yaghmai and Sarah K were able to put my son under and come out of surgery very easily.Michelle L.
- 2019-01-17Very positive experience... from consultation to surgery and scheduling follow-up. Everyone was knowledgeable, professional, and friendly.M C.
- 2018-12-18I also would like wish in advance happy holidays and and a Happy New year to Dr Akbar, Betty and Yessica and all the others staff at NOVA OMS.Padmaja M.
- 2019-01-10Overall a great experience. One of the assistants named Fab explained the process very well and was very welcoming.Hieu N.
- 2019-01-11Staff is so friendly; especially Caroline and Nadine! I would recommend this practice to anyone and everyone! Thanks so much guys!Sydney A.
- 2018-12-08The office is clean and efficient and everyone was pleasant and professional. I had an excellent and quick recovery with little if any pain.shirlene c.
- 2018-12-18This is my first time having a surgery- My consolation with this staff / Dr. was absolutely comforting. Amazing Job Doc!Markelle A.
- 2018-12-08It was great !!Fatima V.
- 2018-12-25Dr Yaghmai is awesome! He performed a procedure on my gums that healed quickly with no complications.Sini P.
- 2018-12-08The surgery was quick and painless along with not experiencing much pain just soreness after my wisdom teeth removal.Emily G.
- 2018-12-08Holly and Dr Naimi were great and very helpful!Angela P.
- 2018-12-08Was seen immediately by Dr. Yaghmai, who, with his assistant Sara K., provided excellent, complete care. Thank you!gkaylor1
- 2019-01-01I had a great experience!Eric M.
- 2019-01-10Dr. Yaghmai and Fab were very friendly and supportive for my son’s wisdom tooth surgery. Would recommend for any oral surgery!Shan J.
- 2019-01-01Dr. Patterson and Holly are very professional. Highly recommended!Daimeng Z.
- 2019-01-17Thanksjoan s.
- 2019-01-04Amazing staff, nurses, and surgeons. Would definitely recommend them!Lulu A.
- 2019-01-01I'm very happy with my experience getting my first dental implant in Reston office of NOVA OMS. Dr. Naimi did an excellent job.Tatiana V.
- 2019-01-01I strongly recommend this office to everyone for oral surgery! Dr. Naimi and Tiffany were amazing at making the whole process so easy!Richille R.
- 2019-01-03Highly recommend. Him and his team were patient efficient and kind. There to answer all my question and put me at ease.Jenny N.
- 2018-12-25The entire staff was super helpful and I definitely recommend seeing them.Josh L.
- 2018-12-08Dr. Gallardo was very friendly and very informative of the procedure to get the wisdom teeth out for my son! Best place to go!Cindy L.
- 2019-01-14Awesome and professional doctors who care about their patients 🙂Tram M.
- 2019-01-03Friendly staff and overall smooth process, Dr Dawood and Betty were very comforting even though surgery can be pretty scary.Boyoung Z.
- 2019-01-10Highly recommended for wisdom tooth surgery! The other positive reviews are completely right!Jeremy K.
- 2018-12-08I had a great experience here. My surgery went smoothly and I had very little pain afterwards. My oral surgeon was thorough and nice.Patrick L.
- 2018-12-08Loved my experience! From the front desk to Dr. Naimi everyone is super friendly and professional! Definitely would recommend!sameen s.
- 2019-01-15Got 4 wisdom teeth removed here and had a great experience! Dr. Yaghmai and Sara K. were very professional!Nick J.
- 2018-12-08Very professional, friendly environment. You’re their priority. The nurses are really nice and helpful.L A.
- 2018-12-25By far one of the best experiences I've had with ANY service! I highly recommend this office to anyone who needs to remove wisdom teeth.Mujahid A.