General dentists refer many of our patients to our practice for oral pathology services and the collection of biopsies. Oral pathology involves evaluating lesions and tissues throughout the oral cavity for abnormalities. Commonly used to detect oral cancer, biopsies and regular oral examinations could literally save a patient’s life. When detected early, like other chronic health conditions, oral cancer is curable and manageable with medical treatment.
Oral Biopsy in Dental Practice
Providing oral cancer screenings in dentistry has long been a standard practice during examinations. During annual exams, dental professionals look for abnormalities in tissues that line the cheeks, the lips, the tongue, and other soft tissues found in the oral cavity. Discoloration of tissues, lumps, and patches of red or white may be indicators of oral cancer. Patients with certain risk factors such as a family history of oral cancer, tobacco use, and exposure to sunlight possess an increased risk for developing oral cancers. These patients should conduct self-examinations, schedule routine visits to a dentist, and make their dentist or oral surgeon aware of any symptoms such as difficulty swallowing, persistent sores in the mouth that are slow to heal, or voice hoarseness.
An Overview of the Oral Biopsy Procedure
When an abnormality is detected, our oral surgeons will remove a sample of the suspicious tissue for further review and evaluation. The procedure itself is normally not too invasive and our team will provide local anesthetics to ensure patient comfort and relaxation. The procedure and oral biopsy recovery process will vary depending on the area where the sample was taken. Patients will be provided with information regarding healing and recovery along with an estimate of when their results should be available.
Oral biopsy cost also varies from patient to patient because the biopsy can be taken from anywhere in the oral cavity; however, many insurers cover some if not all of the costs incurred with oral pathology.
To schedule a thorough oral examination with our team, contact our practice today.
Northern Virginia Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery – Burke, VA
5206 Lyngate Ct
Burke, VA 22015
Northern Virginia Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery – Reston, VA
11490 Commerce Park Dr #100
Reston, VA 20191
Northern Virginia Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery – Alexandria, VA
2807 Duke St
Alexandria, VA 22314
- Dental Implants
- Wisdom Teeth
- Tooth Extraction
- Bone Regeneration
- Facial & Cosmentc
- 2018-12-18The experience has been amazing. Dr Yaghmai and Sarah K were able to put my son under and come out of surgery very easily.Michelle L.
- 2019-01-04Amazing staff, nurses, and surgeons. Would definitely recommend them!Lulu A.
- 2018-12-08Great, friendly environment. They make you feel welcome and like you’re at home. The nursing staff were extremely helpful toward my recovery.Laith A.
- 2018-12-18I also would like wish in advance happy holidays and and a Happy New year to Dr Akbar, Betty and Yessica and all the others staff at NOVA OMS.Padmaja M.
- 2019-01-03The practice is very clean and the staff are very kind and professional especially Fab and Melissa, they did a great job.Diana J.
- 2018-12-08My kids had a great experience and would definitely recommend Dr. Naimi to anyone who has need for wisdom teeth extraction.Jake P.
- 2018-12-08Dr. Gallardo was very friendly and very informative of the procedure to get the wisdom teeth out for my son! Best place to go!Cindy L.
- 2019-01-01Great service.steve c.
- 2019-01-09I had a great experience with Dr. Dawood and his staff Ali, Betty, and Erica . It has only been a week and I feel almost back to normal.Bushra S.
- 2019-01-01I'm very happy with my experience getting my first dental implant in Reston office of NOVA OMS. Dr. Naimi did an excellent job.Tatiana V.
- 2019-01-11Everyone here was super nice, Dr. Naimi did a great job and the two women who helped me prep for my wisdom teeth extraction and then helped me with recovery, Jennyfer and Tiffany, were so helpful and nice.Emma W.
- 2018-12-08The office is clean and efficient and everyone was pleasant and professional. I had an excellent and quick recovery with little if any pain.shirlene c.
- 2019-01-14Awesome and professional doctors who care about their patients 🙂Tram M.
- 2019-01-10Came to Nova oms to get four wisdom teeth extracted and had a great experience. Would recommend for any future oral surgery needs.Danny W.
- 2018-12-08Very professional, friendly environment. You’re their priority. The nurses are really nice and helpful.L A.
- 2018-12-08I had a great experience here. My surgery went smoothly and I had very little pain afterwards. My oral surgeon was thorough and nice.Patrick L.
- 2019-01-11Great experience! The doctors were very friendly and made me feel comfortable before my surgery. Definitely recommend northern Virginia oral!Ashley A.
- 2019-01-01I had my wisdom teeth removed by Dr Yaghmai and had a great experience with him and his staff!HANNAH Z.
- 2018-12-08If you’re looking for a GREAT surgeon AND amazing staff, I would recommend this place ten times over to my friends and family. Just amazing.Katelyn N.
- 2018-12-08Loved my experience! From the front desk to Dr. Naimi everyone is super friendly and professional! Definitely would recommend!sameen s.
- 2018-12-18Thank You Dr Dawood, Betty and Yessica, and advanced wishes for you and all the staff at NOVA OMS for a merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a happy Healthy and prosperous 2019 to you and your extended familyHARISH M.
- 2019-01-01It was quick and easy!Tuba H.
- 2019-01-17Thanksjoan s.
- 2019-01-04Very nice dental practice. Treated me very well!NICOLE ASHLEY M.
- 2019-01-01Dr. Patterson and Holly are very professional. Highly recommended!Daimeng Z.
- 2019-01-11Staff is so friendly; especially Caroline and Nadine! I would recommend this practice to anyone and everyone! Thanks so much guys!Sydney A.
- 2018-12-25The entire staff was super helpful and I definitely recommend seeing them.Josh L.
- 2019-01-10Overall a great experience. One of the assistants named Fab explained the process very well and was very welcoming.Hieu N.
- 2019-01-03Dr.Yaghmai and his staff especially Fab were very efficient and kind to me during my surgery. I would highly recommend coming here!!Alyssa P.
- 2019-01-10Highly recommended for wisdom tooth surgery! The other positive reviews are completely right!Jeremy K.
- 2019-01-01I had a great experience!Eric M.
- 2019-01-03Highly recommend. Him and his team were patient efficient and kind. There to answer all my question and put me at ease.Jenny N.
- 2018-12-08The surgery was quick and painless along with not experiencing much pain just soreness after my wisdom teeth removal.Emily G.
- 2019-01-05Dr. Naimi and all his staff were great. Very professional and kind. I highly recommend this practice!Deborah W.
- 2019-01-11Good wisdom teeth treatmentgopacgo12345
- 2019-01-01I strongly recommend this office to everyone for oral surgery! Dr. Naimi and Tiffany were amazing at making the whole process so easy!Richille R.
- 2019-01-17Very positive experience... from consultation to surgery and scheduling follow-up. Everyone was knowledgeable, professional, and friendly.M C.
- 2019-01-04I had a great experience! The staff is super nice and friendly.Patricia H.
- 2019-01-01Amazing experience! Doctors were so nice, answered every question I had before surgery. Highly recommendMelysa S.
- 2018-12-08Was seen immediately by Dr. Yaghmai, who, with his assistant Sara K., provided excellent, complete care. Thank you!gkaylor1
- 2018-12-25By far one of the best experiences I've had with ANY service! I highly recommend this office to anyone who needs to remove wisdom teeth.Mujahid A.
- 2018-12-08Holly and Dr Naimi were great and very helpful!Angela P.
- 2018-12-18Everything was amazing!! I strongly recommend this office.OSCAR GOMEZ U.
- 2018-12-18This is my first time having a surgery- My consolation with this staff / Dr. was absolutely comforting. Amazing Job Doc!Markelle A.
- 2019-01-10Dr. Yaghmai and Fab were very friendly and supportive for my son’s wisdom tooth surgery. Would recommend for any oral surgery!Shan J.
- 2019-01-03Friendly staff and overall smooth process, Dr Dawood and Betty were very comforting even though surgery can be pretty scary.Boyoung Z.
- 2018-12-11ExcellentChuck C.
- 2018-12-08It was great !!Fatima V.
- 2018-12-25Dr Yaghmai is awesome! He performed a procedure on my gums that healed quickly with no complications.Sini P.
- 2019-01-15Got 4 wisdom teeth removed here and had a great experience! Dr. Yaghmai and Sara K. were very professional!Nick J.