Preserving Your Jaw Bone after Extraction
Removal of teeth is sometimes necessary because of pain, infection, bone loss or fracture of the tooth. The bone that holds the tooth in place (the socket) is often damaged by disease and/or infection resulting in deformity of the jaw after the tooth is extracted. In addition, when teeth are extracted, the surrounding bone and gums can shrink and recede very quickly after the extraction resulting in unsightly defects and collapse of the lips, and cheeks.
These jaw defects can create major problems in performing restorative dentistry whether your treatment involves dental implants, bridges or dentures. Jaw deformities from tooth removal can be prevented and repaired by a procedure called socket preservation. Socket preservation can greatly improve your smile’s appearance and increase your chances for successful dental implants for years to come.
Common Socket Preservation Technique
Several techniques can be used to preserve the bone and minimize bone loss after an extraction. In one common method, the tooth is removed and the socket is filled with bone or bone substitute. It is then covered with gum, artificial membrane, or tissue stimulating proteins to encourage your body’s natural ability to repair the socket. With this method, the socket heals eliminating shrinkage and collapse of surrounding gum and facial tissues. The newly formed bone in the socket also provides a foundation for an implant to replace the tooth. If your dentist has recommended tooth removal, be sure to ask if socket preservation is necessary. This is particularly important if you are planning on replacing the front teeth.
Northern Virginia Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery – Burke, VA
5206 Lyngate Ct
Burke, VA 22015
Northern Virginia Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery – Reston, VA
11490 Commerce Park Dr #100
Reston, VA 20191
Northern Virginia Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery – Alexandria, VA
2807 Duke St
Alexandria, VA 22314
- Dental Implants
- Wisdom Teeth
- Tooth Extraction
- Bone Regeneration
- Facial & Cosmentc
- 2019-02-19Quicker recovery than usualFelipe F.
- 2019-03-05He was fast and efficient and I have already recommended him to several people in case they should ever need an oral surgeon.valerie a.
- 2019-01-22Dr. Yaghmai was the absolute best! I had my wisdom teeth removal done and he couldn’t have been more swift and precise.Maddie H.
- 2019-01-10Dr. Yaghmai and Fab were very friendly and supportive for my son’s wisdom tooth surgery. Would recommend for any oral surgery!Shan J.
- 2019-03-05It was quick and entirely painless. I took ibuprofen for a few days, but was back on normal food after barely a day.Leland G.
- 2019-01-10Overall a great experience. One of the assistants named Fab explained the process very well and was very welcoming.Hieu N.
- 2019-02-14Thank you for a wonderful experience! Pain free and they genuinely care! I look forward to working with you all at my next visit!Kelly D.
- 2019-02-21I was nervous going in to get my wisdom teeth extracted but Dr. Yaghmai, Tiffany and Sarah made the experience much more comfortable, I left feeling better than i had thought possible and had none to very little discomfort/pain during the healing process.Lucas S.
- 2019-02-12I would highly recommend going here . I got my wisdom teeth removed about a month ago and my experience here was wonderful !Karen H.
- 2019-02-19Wonderful experience overall! Friendly and highly professional staff made the removal of my wisdom teeth as painless as possible.George Z.
- 2019-01-11Staff is so friendly; especially Caroline and Nadine! I would recommend this practice to anyone and everyone! Thanks so much guys!Sydney A.
- 2019-02-12recommend this practice highlyMalcolm P.
- 2019-01-04Amazing staff, nurses, and surgeons. Would definitely recommend them!Lulu A.
- 2019-01-18His assistant, Melissa, is top-notch and is the best at answering questions and keeping the patient informed and comfortable. No surprises.O W.
- 2019-02-26I was very pleased with my experience. This is the second time I've been a patient of Dr. Yaghmai for implants.Pam G.
- 2019-01-28Absolute best service, best price I could find in Northern VA after getting a consult from several offices from Reston to Leesburg.Bernadette A.
- 2019-01-29I am so thankful to them for their care.Neal S.
- 2019-01-15Got 4 wisdom teeth removed here and had a great experience! Dr. Yaghmai and Sara K. were very professional!Nick J.
- 2019-01-10Highly recommended for wisdom tooth surgery! The other positive reviews are completely right!Jeremy K.
- 2019-01-25Dr. Naimo and his assistant holly did an amazing job for my wisdom teeth removal.cameron W.
- 2019-02-01The surgeon and assistants Holly and Victor were helpful and thorough prepping me and ensuring post-op recovery went along well.Christina B.
- 2019-02-01They are friendly, caring, efficient and very professional. I highly recommend Dr. Naimi to and Reston OMS.Cathryn L.
- 2019-02-26Very professional office.Jon w.
- 2019-01-11Good wisdom teeth treatmentgopacgo12345
- 2019-03-05Dr Yaghmai, Fab and Sarak were great and very friendly! I highly recommend this place! Had wisdom teeth removal, fast recovery and no pain.TheAshe89
- 2019-02-01I had a great experience here! Procedure was fast, and the staff here was very friendly. Ruqaya and Dr. Naimi did a fantastic job!!Gabriella D.
- 2019-02-26Excellent care. Staff concerned about you before, during and afterwards. Also, answers every question to your satisfactionIra F.
- 2019-01-17Thanksjoan s.
- 2019-01-29The experience has been amazing. Dr. Yaghmai and Sarah were able to take care of long standing tooth problem and missing tooth.Balaji R.
- 2019-01-25Dr. Naimi and his entire staff, especially Holly was excellent. Would highly recommend!Chanel A.
- 2019-01-05Dr. Naimi and all his staff were great. Very professional and kind. I highly recommend this practice!Deborah W.
- 2019-03-05I had no pain after the first day, the staff is friendly and professional, and it was overall a good experience.Alex C.
- 2019-01-31Very comprehensive care and very patient staff. They handled everything from insurance and billing to pre and post OP care.Joshua F.
- 2019-01-17Very positive experience... from consultation to surgery and scheduling follow-up. Everyone was knowledgeable, professional, and friendly.M C.
- 2019-02-26Highly recommend this place for dental implants and extractions. They are quick and thorough.John M.
- 2019-01-11Great experience! The doctors were very friendly and made me feel comfortable before my surgery. Definitely recommend northern Virginia oral!Ashley A.
- 2019-02-08He is absolutely the best surgeon! I totally recommend Dr. Y for your surgery needs! The office is so friendly and lovely to work with!Michele J.
- 2019-01-25Excellent service ! Surgeon went well . Staff is excellent ! DR Naomi and Holly was awesome .Keisha G.
- 2019-03-05Great experience at NOVA OMS. Dr. Yaghmai and Sara K. were great and made the experience effortless.Parker S.
- 2019-01-23Courteous staff. Medical procedure went well.Eric W.
- 2019-01-11Everyone here was super nice, Dr. Naimi did a great job and the two women who helped me prep for my wisdom teeth extraction and then helped me with recovery, Jennyfer and Tiffany, were so helpful and nice.Emma W.
- 2019-01-14Awesome and professional doctors who care about their patients 🙂Tram M.
- 2019-02-14Superbly professional. Friendly. Responsive. I couldn’t be happier with my experience!John R.
- 2019-02-07Doctor Naimi is the best!!Romi M.
- 2019-03-08The staff were very welcoming. Rugaya and Holly took great care of me and put me at ease before my (4) wisdom teeth extraction.Trinity G.
- 2019-01-10Came to Nova oms to get four wisdom teeth extracted and had a great experience. Would recommend for any future oral surgery needs.Danny W.
- 2019-01-04Very nice dental practice. Treated me very well!NICOLE ASHLEY M.
- 2019-01-09I had a great experience with Dr. Dawood and his staff Ali, Betty, and Erica . It has only been a week and I feel almost back to normal.Bushra S.
- 2019-02-18I had a great experience here. Everyone was extremely friendly and prompt timing.Ana C.
- 2019-03-19Fast recovery timedevonkeith13