What is a Ridge Augmentation?
A ridge augmentation is a common dental procedure often performed following a tooth extraction to help recreate the natural contour of the gums and jaw that may have been lost due to bone loss as a result of a tooth extraction, or for another reason.
The alveolar ridge of the jaw is the bone that surrounds the roots of teeth. When a tooth is removed, an empty socket is left in the alveolar ridge bone. Usually, this empty socket will heal on its own, filling with bone and tissue. Sometimes when a tooth is removed, the bone surrounding the socket breaks, and is unable to heal on its own. The previous height and width of the socket will continue to deteriorate.
Rebuilding the original height and width of the alveolar ridge is not medically necessary, but may be required for dental implant placement, or for aesthetic purposes. Dental implants require bone to support their structure, and a ridge augmentation can help rebuild this bone to accommodate the implant.
How is the Oral Surgery Accomplished?
A ridge augmentation is accomplished by placing bone graft material in the tooth socket. It is often done immediately after the tooth is removed, to avoid the need for a second procedure later. Next, the gum tissue is placed over the socket and secured with sutures. Drs. Graves, Naimi, Yaghmai, Patterson, Dawood and Gallardo may choose to use a space-maintaining product over the top of the graft to help restore the height and width of the space created by the tooth and bone loss, and into which new bone should grow. Once the socket has healed, the alveolar ridge can be prepared for dental implant placement.
A ridge augmentation procedure is typically performed by Drs. Graves, Naimi, Yaghmai, Patterson, Dawood and Gallardo office under local anesthesia. Some patients may also request sedative medication in addition.
Northern Virginia Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery – Burke, VA
5206 Lyngate Ct
Burke, VA 22015
Northern Virginia Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery – Reston, VA
11490 Commerce Park Dr #100
Reston, VA 20191
Northern Virginia Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery – Alexandria, VA
2807 Duke St
Alexandria, VA 22314
- Dental Implants
- Wisdom Teeth
- Tooth Extraction
- Bone Regeneration
- Facial & Cosmentc
- 2019-01-17Thanksjoan s.
- 2019-02-14Thank you for a wonderful experience! Pain free and they genuinely care! I look forward to working with you all at my next visit!Kelly D.
- 2019-01-04Very nice dental practice. Treated me very well!NICOLE ASHLEY M.
- 2019-02-19Wonderful experience overall! Friendly and highly professional staff made the removal of my wisdom teeth as painless as possible.George Z.
- 2019-02-18I had a great experience here. Everyone was extremely friendly and prompt timing.Ana C.
- 2019-03-05He was fast and efficient and I have already recommended him to several people in case they should ever need an oral surgeon.valerie a.
- 2019-02-19Quicker recovery than usualFelipe F.
- 2019-01-05Dr. Naimi and all his staff were great. Very professional and kind. I highly recommend this practice!Deborah W.
- 2019-01-11Everyone here was super nice, Dr. Naimi did a great job and the two women who helped me prep for my wisdom teeth extraction and then helped me with recovery, Jennyfer and Tiffany, were so helpful and nice.Emma W.
- 2019-01-10Overall a great experience. One of the assistants named Fab explained the process very well and was very welcoming.Hieu N.
- 2019-02-26Very professional office.Jon w.
- 2019-01-25Dr. Naimo and his assistant holly did an amazing job for my wisdom teeth removal.cameron W.
- 2019-03-05It was quick and entirely painless. I took ibuprofen for a few days, but was back on normal food after barely a day.Leland G.
- 2019-01-10Highly recommended for wisdom tooth surgery! The other positive reviews are completely right!Jeremy K.
- 2019-03-05Great experience at NOVA OMS. Dr. Yaghmai and Sara K. were great and made the experience effortless.Parker S.
- 2019-01-17Very positive experience... from consultation to surgery and scheduling follow-up. Everyone was knowledgeable, professional, and friendly.M C.
- 2019-01-23Courteous staff. Medical procedure went well.Eric W.
- 2019-02-07Doctor Naimi is the best!!Romi M.
- 2019-01-22Dr. Yaghmai was the absolute best! I had my wisdom teeth removal done and he couldn’t have been more swift and precise.Maddie H.
- 2019-01-15Got 4 wisdom teeth removed here and had a great experience! Dr. Yaghmai and Sara K. were very professional!Nick J.
- 2019-01-11Good wisdom teeth treatmentgopacgo12345
- 2019-01-04Amazing staff, nurses, and surgeons. Would definitely recommend them!Lulu A.
- 2019-02-26Highly recommend this place for dental implants and extractions. They are quick and thorough.John M.
- 2019-01-11Staff is so friendly; especially Caroline and Nadine! I would recommend this practice to anyone and everyone! Thanks so much guys!Sydney A.
- 2019-02-01I had a great experience here! Procedure was fast, and the staff here was very friendly. Ruqaya and Dr. Naimi did a fantastic job!!Gabriella D.
- 2019-01-11Great experience! The doctors were very friendly and made me feel comfortable before my surgery. Definitely recommend northern Virginia oral!Ashley A.
- 2019-02-26I was very pleased with my experience. This is the second time I've been a patient of Dr. Yaghmai for implants.Pam G.
- 2019-02-12recommend this practice highlyMalcolm P.
- 2019-01-10Came to Nova oms to get four wisdom teeth extracted and had a great experience. Would recommend for any future oral surgery needs.Danny W.
- 2019-02-01The surgeon and assistants Holly and Victor were helpful and thorough prepping me and ensuring post-op recovery went along well.Christina B.
- 2019-01-18His assistant, Melissa, is top-notch and is the best at answering questions and keeping the patient informed and comfortable. No surprises.O W.
- 2019-01-10Dr. Yaghmai and Fab were very friendly and supportive for my son’s wisdom tooth surgery. Would recommend for any oral surgery!Shan J.
- 2019-03-05I had no pain after the first day, the staff is friendly and professional, and it was overall a good experience.Alex C.
- 2019-02-12I would highly recommend going here . I got my wisdom teeth removed about a month ago and my experience here was wonderful !Karen H.
- 2019-01-25Dr. Naimi and his entire staff, especially Holly was excellent. Would highly recommend!Chanel A.
- 2019-01-29I am so thankful to them for their care.Neal S.
- 2019-02-01They are friendly, caring, efficient and very professional. I highly recommend Dr. Naimi to and Reston OMS.Cathryn L.
- 2019-03-19Fast recovery timedevonkeith13
- 2019-01-09I had a great experience with Dr. Dawood and his staff Ali, Betty, and Erica . It has only been a week and I feel almost back to normal.Bushra S.
- 2019-01-29The experience has been amazing. Dr. Yaghmai and Sarah were able to take care of long standing tooth problem and missing tooth.Balaji R.
- 2019-02-21I was nervous going in to get my wisdom teeth extracted but Dr. Yaghmai, Tiffany and Sarah made the experience much more comfortable, I left feeling better than i had thought possible and had none to very little discomfort/pain during the healing process.Lucas S.
- 2019-01-31Very comprehensive care and very patient staff. They handled everything from insurance and billing to pre and post OP care.Joshua F.
- 2019-01-14Awesome and professional doctors who care about their patients 🙂Tram M.
- 2019-03-08The staff were very welcoming. Rugaya and Holly took great care of me and put me at ease before my (4) wisdom teeth extraction.Trinity G.
- 2019-02-14Superbly professional. Friendly. Responsive. I couldn’t be happier with my experience!John R.
- 2019-01-25Excellent service ! Surgeon went well . Staff is excellent ! DR Naomi and Holly was awesome .Keisha G.
- 2019-02-26Excellent care. Staff concerned about you before, during and afterwards. Also, answers every question to your satisfactionIra F.
- 2019-01-28Absolute best service, best price I could find in Northern VA after getting a consult from several offices from Reston to Leesburg.Bernadette A.
- 2019-03-05Dr Yaghmai, Fab and Sarak were great and very friendly! I highly recommend this place! Had wisdom teeth removal, fast recovery and no pain.TheAshe89
- 2019-02-08He is absolutely the best surgeon! I totally recommend Dr. Y for your surgery needs! The office is so friendly and lovely to work with!Michele J.