Utilizing new technology and advanced methods, our oral surgeons can replace atrophied and lost bone through bone graphs. With applications in craniofacial and oral procedures, bone grafts help regenerate and replace lost tissue. In the past, our patients with tooth loss and bone atrophy had limited options with replacing teeth with dental implants. Today, however, a bone graft can improve the success rate of dental implants by providing patients with enough new bone tissue to support implants. Additionally, conditions including advanced gum disease and or traumatic injuries that affect bone mass can be improved with bone grafting procedures as well.
Bone grafting can replace disintegrated and damaged bone virtually anywhere in the face and oral cavity including the sinus passageways, the ridge of the jawbone, and sockets. Various types of graft methods exist as well including autogenious grafting, ridge split grafts, and maxillary sinus lifts.
The Basics on Bone Grafting
Bone grafts used in oral surgery have similar characteristics when compared to other types of medical grafting procedures such as skin grafts. When bone has atrophied from tooth loss or gum disease, for example, our team will remove bone from another region of the body or insert synthetic bone and place it where needed in the face or jaw. This allows patients enough bone to support dental implants and also helps generate new bone tissue.
Types of Bone Grafts
Autogenous grafts – This is a common bone graft method where bone is taken from another part of the body such as the knee or hip to replace missing or injured bone mass.
Allografts – Derived from synthetic bone tissue or from cadavers, these grafts are placed the same way as autgenous grafts. The difference between the two methods is the source of tissue.
Bovine grafts – This method utilizes bone from cows.
Patient Comfort During Bone Grafts
Our surgeons strive to make our patients feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible during all procedures. When a bone graft is conducted, our team will effectively numb the grafting site with local anesthetics and this procedure does not require hospitalization. We will provide thorough post operative instructions so that our patients can heal as quickly as possible.
To schedule an appointment, contact our friendly team today.
Learn About Specific Procedures
Northern Virginia Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery – Burke, VA
5206 Lyngate Ct
Burke, VA 22015
Northern Virginia Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery – Reston, VA
11490 Commerce Park Dr #100
Reston, VA 20191
Northern Virginia Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery – Alexandria, VA
2807 Duke St
Alexandria, VA 22314
- Dental Implants
- Wisdom Teeth
- Tooth Extraction
- Bone Regeneration
- Facial & Cosmentc
- 2019-01-03The practice is very clean and the staff are very kind and professional especially Fab and Melissa, they did a great job.Diana J.
- 2019-01-17Very positive experience... from consultation to surgery and scheduling follow-up. Everyone was knowledgeable, professional, and friendly.M C.
- 2019-01-11Great experience! The doctors were very friendly and made me feel comfortable before my surgery. Definitely recommend northern Virginia oral!Ashley A.
- 2019-01-04Very nice dental practice. Treated me very well!NICOLE ASHLEY M.
- 2019-01-03Dr.Yaghmai and his staff especially Fab were very efficient and kind to me during my surgery. I would highly recommend coming here!!Alyssa P.
- 2019-01-01I strongly recommend this office to everyone for oral surgery! Dr. Naimi and Tiffany were amazing at making the whole process so easy!Richille R.
- 2019-01-01Dr. Patterson and Holly are very professional. Highly recommended!Daimeng Z.
- 2018-12-08Holly and Dr Naimi were great and very helpful!Angela P.
- 2019-01-15Got 4 wisdom teeth removed here and had a great experience! Dr. Yaghmai and Sara K. were very professional!Nick J.
- 2018-12-08My kids had a great experience and would definitely recommend Dr. Naimi to anyone who has need for wisdom teeth extraction.Jake P.
- 2018-12-25By far one of the best experiences I've had with ANY service! I highly recommend this office to anyone who needs to remove wisdom teeth.Mujahid A.
- 2019-01-09I had a great experience with Dr. Dawood and his staff Ali, Betty, and Erica . It has only been a week and I feel almost back to normal.Bushra S.
- 2018-12-18The experience has been amazing. Dr Yaghmai and Sarah K were able to put my son under and come out of surgery very easily.Michelle L.
- 2019-01-11Good wisdom teeth treatmentgopacgo12345
- 2018-12-08I had a great experience here. My surgery went smoothly and I had very little pain afterwards. My oral surgeon was thorough and nice.Patrick L.
- 2019-01-14Awesome and professional doctors who care about their patients 🙂Tram M.
- 2018-12-08Loved my experience! From the front desk to Dr. Naimi everyone is super friendly and professional! Definitely would recommend!sameen s.
- 2019-01-11Staff is so friendly; especially Caroline and Nadine! I would recommend this practice to anyone and everyone! Thanks so much guys!Sydney A.
- 2019-01-10Highly recommended for wisdom tooth surgery! The other positive reviews are completely right!Jeremy K.
- 2019-01-04I had a great experience! The staff is super nice and friendly.Patricia H.
- 2018-12-08Very professional, friendly environment. You’re their priority. The nurses are really nice and helpful.L A.
- 2018-12-08The surgery was quick and painless along with not experiencing much pain just soreness after my wisdom teeth removal.Emily G.
- 2019-01-10Overall a great experience. One of the assistants named Fab explained the process very well and was very welcoming.Hieu N.
- 2019-01-01I had a great experience!Eric M.
- 2019-01-11Everyone here was super nice, Dr. Naimi did a great job and the two women who helped me prep for my wisdom teeth extraction and then helped me with recovery, Jennyfer and Tiffany, were so helpful and nice.Emma W.
- 2018-12-08Dr. Gallardo was very friendly and very informative of the procedure to get the wisdom teeth out for my son! Best place to go!Cindy L.
- 2018-12-08The office is clean and efficient and everyone was pleasant and professional. I had an excellent and quick recovery with little if any pain.shirlene c.
- 2018-12-08It was great !!Fatima V.
- 2019-01-04Amazing staff, nurses, and surgeons. Would definitely recommend them!Lulu A.
- 2019-01-03Highly recommend. Him and his team were patient efficient and kind. There to answer all my question and put me at ease.Jenny N.
- 2019-01-01I'm very happy with my experience getting my first dental implant in Reston office of NOVA OMS. Dr. Naimi did an excellent job.Tatiana V.
- 2019-01-17Thanksjoan s.
- 2019-01-01I had my wisdom teeth removed by Dr Yaghmai and had a great experience with him and his staff!HANNAH Z.
- 2018-12-18Everything was amazing!! I strongly recommend this office.OSCAR GOMEZ U.
- 2019-01-01It was quick and easy!Tuba H.
- 2019-01-01Great service.steve c.
- 2018-12-18This is my first time having a surgery- My consolation with this staff / Dr. was absolutely comforting. Amazing Job Doc!Markelle A.
- 2019-01-10Came to Nova oms to get four wisdom teeth extracted and had a great experience. Would recommend for any future oral surgery needs.Danny W.
- 2019-01-01Amazing experience! Doctors were so nice, answered every question I had before surgery. Highly recommendMelysa S.
- 2018-12-18I also would like wish in advance happy holidays and and a Happy New year to Dr Akbar, Betty and Yessica and all the others staff at NOVA OMS.Padmaja M.
- 2018-12-08Great, friendly environment. They make you feel welcome and like you’re at home. The nursing staff were extremely helpful toward my recovery.Laith A.
- 2019-01-03Friendly staff and overall smooth process, Dr Dawood and Betty were very comforting even though surgery can be pretty scary.Boyoung Z.
- 2018-12-08If you’re looking for a GREAT surgeon AND amazing staff, I would recommend this place ten times over to my friends and family. Just amazing.Katelyn N.
- 2019-01-10Dr. Yaghmai and Fab were very friendly and supportive for my son’s wisdom tooth surgery. Would recommend for any oral surgery!Shan J.
- 2018-12-08Was seen immediately by Dr. Yaghmai, who, with his assistant Sara K., provided excellent, complete care. Thank you!gkaylor1
- 2019-01-05Dr. Naimi and all his staff were great. Very professional and kind. I highly recommend this practice!Deborah W.
- 2018-12-25The entire staff was super helpful and I definitely recommend seeing them.Josh L.
- 2018-12-18Thank You Dr Dawood, Betty and Yessica, and advanced wishes for you and all the staff at NOVA OMS for a merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a happy Healthy and prosperous 2019 to you and your extended familyHARISH M.
- 2018-12-11ExcellentChuck C.
- 2018-12-25Dr Yaghmai is awesome! He performed a procedure on my gums that healed quickly with no complications.Sini P.